Basic info

General information

As of 01/05/2010, the following rules stipulated in new coordination regulations Nos. 883/2004 and 987/2009 will apply to European Union countries:

• European Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) No. 883/2004, on Coordination of Social Security Systems; and

• European Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) No. 987/2009 laying down the procedure for implementing Regulation (EC) No. 883/2004 on Coordination of Social Security Systems, have been applied.

A person to whom European Parliament and Council Regulation (EC) No. 883/2004 applies is subject to legal regulations on social security (and health insurance) of one member country only.

The general law for determining the relevant legal regulations is the law of the state where the activities are performed.

Workers who perform gainful activities only in the Czech Republic carry health insurance only in the Czech Republic, regardless of whether they reside in another member state. Gainful activities mean employment or self-employment.

In order to register such a person, their passport (or another personal identification document indicating permanent residence in one of the member states) and employment contract (or a trade certificate) must be submitted.

As long as these persons have health insurance coverage in the Czech Republic, their family dependents are insured together with them under the Czech insurance system.

a) If these persons regularly return to their home country, upon request ZPŠ will issue them an E106 Form that will ensure them full care in the Czech Republic, as well as the country in which they reside.

This form is signed in two counterparts that have to be submitted by an employee (entrepreneur) to their foreign health insurance provider, which registers them as a foreign (Czech) insured person. One counterpart of the form has to be confirmed in Part B and returned to ZPŠ.

Together with this form, the worker has to notify their foreign insurance provider about any family dependents (their names, surnames, dates of birth, and insurance policy numbers). They are also obliged to document their relationship with the identified family members (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.). Based on the information submitted, a foreign insurance provider will verify the dependability of the family members in accordance with its legal regulations and will fill in dependents in Part B of the E106 Form.

Those family members who are filled in Part B become Czech insured persons on the day of registration by a foreign insurance provider. These persons are dependent family members in accordance with the law of the country in which you reside.

Dependent family members living in the country in which the employee permanently resides are entitled to full medical care in that country as well as in the Czech Republic.

Under Czech law, ZPŠ further evaluates if these persons are entitled to have their insurance premiums paid by the government or if they have to pay their insurance premiums to the Czech system as private payers. State-insured persons must submit relevant confirmations to ZPŠ (confirmation of study, etc.). If this is not documented, a dependent family member will be considered a person without taxable income, and after registration by a foreign insurance provider, this family member will have to pay an insurance premium of CZK 2,052 per month to the Czech system as a private payer. (These payments can also be made via a worker in the Czech Republic).

If a spouse executes gainful activities in the country of residence, any children will remain insured in that country together with the spouse.

b) If these persons do not regularly return to their home country (e.g., they go there only twice a year for vacations), this form will not be issued to them.

In other EU countries (including the country in which they reside), they will be entitled to medically necessary health care for the period of their stay in that country, based on the European Health Insurance Card, which ZPŠ shall issue to them upon registration.